- Size of area depends on capabilities of players.
- Suggest 50 yards distance
- Players pair off and stand at either side of the goal as shown.In this instance
the players with the balls are at the goalkeeper's left hand post.
The following activities are possible.
- Interpass and shoot.
- Interpass, step on ball for partner to shoot.
- Play wide ball for partner to cross. Finish the cross with foot or head.
- Play forward pass for partner to receive,run on and shoot under pressure
from the chasing "opponent" i.e.the player who gave the initial pass.
- Introduce wingers in each direction. Play wide pass, cross-over to receive
cross from winger.
- Introduce one defender who elects to defend against an attack from either
Use defender in all above practices once players have mastered
the basic movements. Later introduce player(s) to defend against attacks from
An extension of the various interpassing and shooting activities is to introduce
two support players and two strikers.
- The original two players come from the sides of the goal with one ball to
be joined by the "permanant" support players.
- Continuing a passing movement
the players move through a central "no mans land" to link with two strkres
in the same colour as the support players.
- This six man attack should have
no trouble in scoring.
After the attack the two players return to their original starting positions
to become defenders against the same new stucture of two players and two
strikers permanantly positioned to operate from the other end of the playing
The exercise now is 4 v 2 in the first zone, out through a neutral area,and
6 v 2 in the attacking zone.
If the 6 v 2 structure is too favourable to the attacking team, the original
two support players can be instructed to remain in the first zone. A further
extension is to include permanent wingers to make it a 6 v 2 situation in
the forward area where goals can be scored only from crosses.
The central, neutral area can be removed with only a dividing line between
the defensive and attacking zones.
Three Central Defenders
Changing Boxes - Warm
8 v 3
10 v 5
UEFA "A" Licence
FA Coaching Courses