By Alex Welsh. FA Instructor from the book The Goalkeepers Handbook.
- Keep the ball in the air using palms,backs of hands and forearms.Try to use
a different surface on each contact.Count how many you do and keep a record.
- Using the fingers of both hands,flip the ball continuously above the head.Count
how many you do and keep a record.
- Use the fists to keep the ball up.Progress from one hand only to both in
a right then left,right,left combination.The ball should be played about
12-14 inches above head level.Progress to doing it on one knee or even lying
- Transfer the ball from one hand to the other,passing it around the body,your
- Figure of 8.Transfer the ball from one hand to the other,passing it around
the body,your back and then through your legs.
- Hold the ball with one hand in front of the chest and the other behind.Quickly
switch the position of the hands without the ball hitting the floor.
- Hold the ball with both hands in front of the chest.Quickly switch so that
the hands move behind the legs and catch the ball before it hits the ground.
- Hold the ball in the right hand as high and as far away from the body as
possible.In a continuous motion,sweep the ball down in front of the body,taking
it in the left hand to the furthest point from the body.Continue to ensure
a smooth transfer from one hand to the other.
- Keeping both feet pointing forwards,hold the ball in the right hand level
with your shoulder.Twist your trunk (body) so that the ball is taken to the
furthest point behind the body.Repeat with left hand.
- Holding the ball out to the side of the body with the right hand,drop and
catch it on the half volley try to do this at full stretch,ensuring that
the ball is caught just after it hits the ground.Repeat with left hand.
- Flip the ball over using your right hand.Pedal back quickly and arch your
back to catch the ball in your left hand.
- Moving about,bounce the ball and catch it,checking that the fingers and thumbs
form a "W" shape.Progress to bouncing the ball like a basketball player.This
is good for familiarising with ground conditions.
- Throw or kick the ball into the air and jump to catch the ball at arms
length.Ensure the ball is caught in front at eye level with slightly bent
arms and "W" handshape.Good for sun and wind problems.
- Roll the ball along the ground and sprint to pick it up.In order to pick
up without slowing down,ensure the leading foot is placed alongside the ball
and that hands scoop up the ball in one fluid motion.
- Holding the ball in your arms perform a forward roll without losing the ball.
- Throw the ball into the air and trap it as it hits the ground with your hands
(dive).Roll out of the save so that the original standing position is regained
in one smooth movement.To execute a safe trap,the first hand goes round the
ball and the second hand goes on top of the ball.
- Tap the foot from one foot to the other,Progress to hopping between
- Lightly touch the top of the ball with the sole of the foot.Alternate feet
- Lightly touch the top of the ball with the sole of the foot and push it forward
10 paces,then drag it backwards and do as 18.Continue along.
- Drop the ball to execute a wedge trap using the inside of the right foot
repeat the movements using the outside of the right foot,then use the left
- Throw the ball over your head and spin around to control it using on of the
techniques used in 20.